On 5/10/10 we arrived at the hospital to find that they had changed how Olivia was positioned. X-rays were better so she is able to lay on her opposite side and her back now. They began weaning her off the pain med and we were told if the weaning went well the ventilator would come out. I was able to change her diaper and take her temp 2x and was so excited to do so although a little tough with all the wires. Later in the day they did up the pain meds and were unable to take the vent out. She was very alert so we were able to see each other a lot that day. It's just tough knowing she's in pain and trying to cry but you can't hear cries because of all the tubes.
5/11/10-They continued to lower the pain med dosage but she is still breathing too rapidly due to the pain in her stomach so they would rather wait another day to take the vent out. They like to see her breaths per minute between 40 and 60 and she is currently upper 80's.
5/12/10-I came in to the hospital just as they had taken the ventilator off and drainage tube at 8:30 a.m. They did put oxygen back on but took that off after noon. At about 9:15 a.m. they shut off her pain med and will just give as needed now. By 9:20 a.m. I was able to hear her cry, the first time since being here. At 1:00 p.m. I was able to hold her and did for nearly 2 hours! It was wonderful. She's already liking the pacifier, but her fingers best and her lungs are working well as she had a few good cries. Last night was the first night I spent alone at the Rainbow House and today the first full day but it was so exciting that it hasn't bothered me much. I'm really not sure how Scottie did this alone, while I was in the hospital. I just keep thinking we are very lucky. I look around at other babies and their families, so small, multiple surgeries, and those babies that are just alone, no one to touch or talk to them. It's very sad. I just can't even imagine.
Writing on the blog will be a great help to me and kind of a way to journal. Many are wondering how I can be doing this after all that has happened but in all reality it just helps to write it out somewhere and it's a great way to keep people informed without being flooded by phone calls since we can't take them in the NICU. More updates and pics soon!
11 years ago
3 comments:
Great to hear everything is getting better. We have been praying every day for you guys. I agree the blog is the best place to tell people how things are.
Praying for you The Lubbens
I appreciate your updates to the blog, Vanessa. She is beautiful and I am so happy for you. Hang in there...one day, you'll all be home together! Won't that be terrific?!
Praying for your family. It seems like yesterday we were living at Rainbow House.
Post a Comment