BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Week 3 Ups and Downs

Week 3 started out very exciting with visits from family to see and hold Miss Olivia. Her feeds continued to increase upward from 1 oz. so enzymes were started to help her digest formula properly. This will become her norm with every feeding and throughout her lifetime, along with vitamins, and added salt to meals. Respiratory is training me on how to do the breathing treatments and they let me do the chest percussions on my own now. Something we do every morning and every evening that takes about 40 minutes, but is essential for her lung function, helping to break up any mucus that may build and cause infection.
As her feeds increased closer to 2 oz. I began to notice a change in her stools and she really struggled with eating and has been very irritable. I spoke with the neonatologist and surgeons today because I'm noticing the same symptoms Addison had when she was a baby and it was determined she was Milk, Soy, Protein Intolerant (MSPI) and had to be on special formula. We're not certain at this point if Olivia is experiencing the same problem but she is having too many stools to the point it is concerning doctors so we have stopped feeds again and will restart late this evening with the Alimentum formula and hopefully see a change.
Ironically, I was scheduled to meet with the team of doctors to discuss our discharge plan until all this occurred so it appears we've taken a step back but I'd rather we find out what's wrong now then getting her home and having more trouble. Although I'm very anxious to get home with her I know I have to be patient.

0 comments: